Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cloud Forest School and La Finca Sostenabilidad



This week we visited the Cloud Forest School on Tuesday and then the Life Monteverde sustainability farm on Wednesday. Both places definitely showed how much the ticos care about the environment and both were very inspiring. The Cloud Forest school is a bilingual school for primary, middle and high school students. We were greeted by one of the directors and two eighth grade ambassador students who were fluent in English. The two ambassadors took us on our tour of the school. Everything there was just so awesome – it would be such an amazing opportunity to teach there. We walked to the kindergarten/pre-k school, then through the primary and middle school, and then went on a walk through their nature trail. They told us that every student gets to plant a tree their first year there in kindergarten and I thought that was so cool! They are steadily improving the campus of the school and adding more things. They have a garden where they grow vegetables and plants and all of them are in recycled containers that will eventually disintegrate.  I could tell how proud the students were to be parts of such a great school. The school allows for students to become bilingual but also emphasizes on being environmentally aware. Both of these skills are so imperative for the younger generation to acquire. Society is becoming so much more wasteful and taking such advantage of the earth. Knowing that there is a school like this one was so inspiring and really makes me want to emphasize on being sustainable in my future classroom. The cloud forest school offers positions to English speaking teachers and I would absolutely love to be able to work there one day. Being there for just a few hours was eye opening and impacting; I can’t imagine how life changing it would be to work there. In addition to the cloud forest school, we did he service project on the Life Monteverde which is a sustainability farm in Monteverde. Prior to going, I had heard the term and associated mostly with the environment. We were greeted by the owner of the farm and it was evident that he was very passionate about what he did. He explained a little bit about sustainability and then asked for us to go look around the farm and find things that made his farm sustainable. I don’t know too much about farming, but I was still able to locate some things on the farm that made it environmentally, economically, and socially friendly. Afterwards, he had each group share what they saw and gave us an opportunity to come up with questions. He did not answer the questions because he wanted to give us our tour first. We split into two groups – one that went on a tour and one that went to do some farm work, and then switched. The tour was very interesting; he told us the history of the farm, and his a lot of his personal beliefs. He was so inspiring to listen to and I admired his passion for nature and protecting it. He even had us all find a try and “communicate” with it – something new for all of us I think. I really enjoyed the style he used to teach us things. It was very relative for our group as we were all education majors. He allowed us to explore and ask questions – he let us control our own learning. He would ask us questions that would spark more questions from us. I have not entered my methods courses yet so I have not learned too much about this kind of teaching but it is definitely something that I could use as a teacher. After the tour, we worked on the farm by preparing the land for planting and then planting some corn and sunflower seeds. Afterwards, we went back to the classroom, has some coffee, and he answered any questions that he had not gotten to yet. I think this farm was one of my favorite things on the trip; mainly because I think it was one of the things that I feel like I can take back and teach others. I hope to become more sustainable at home and teach others how to be. It is something I would like to look into and learn even more about it. In addition, I hope to make my classroom as environmentally friendly and sustainable as possible. It is so amazing to me how everything we have done on this trip is so relatable to teaching.



No comments:

Post a Comment